Wednesday, June 04, 2008

nesting in Asheville

I've just about recovered from the weekend festivities, but am working my butt off at work. This is the definition of feast or famine work.... worked 2 days a week for the last two weeks and I'm working all 7 days this week. get it when it's there and enjoy it when it's not

Last weekend was my trip to the Crows Nest in Asheville to celebrate Jut's 34 years on the planet. My wife was out of town with her sister so I felt the tug for travel. I rolled out of town Friday morning after attempting to get my vehicle legal with the state of TN. Got into Asheville around 3:30pm and met up with Jut and got the grand tour of the Crows Nest. Within a couple hours we were already hitting the dirt at Bent Creek checking out a new pump track and play area. I met a great riding bud of Jut's, Benet and they took me on a tour of Bent Creek. I was riding my single speed geared 32x21 and was looking forward to seeing if I could manage the terrain with one gear. We started ascending but it was nothing like the insane climbs found in Pisgah. I was not used to having such an easy gear but I was enjoying it. I would still look up at a climb and in my mind think "this is gonna hurt" thinking I was riding 32x17, but then once I stood up and kept the pedals moving, I zoomed right up. (not that I wasn't still wheezing at the top of the climbs)

Jut took us on his proposed route for the hill climb time trail in the Enduro De Ocho coming up in the end of June. Have fun boys!! is all I have to say.... The difficulty may not be apparent immediately, but it's a grinder. That's all I'm gonna say about it.


After getting to the top and catching our (my) breath, we decended down Greenslick and I got a taste of what Bent Creek is all about. Seats were lowered and fun was had by all! After finally getting past the 3 chapters of decents, we stopped to raise seats again and roll on. Being the over torquer I am, I broke my seat clamp bolt, again. ugghhh CRAP! I was bummed. More because I knew it was only Friday and I wanted to ride my single speed more this weekend. I knew how to fix it but wasn't sure I had access to a dremel and a new bolt the correct size. I had to gimp back to the trailhead trying not to sit down much.... talk about thigh burn. It's the new workout training craze... seat-less riding, getch you some!

After getting cleaned up we got back on the bikes and rode into downtown for dinner at the Yacht Club (great chicken bbq and beers) and then rode to a new Brewery opening. After enjoying a pint and talking with the brewery workers we rolled over to the Admiral bar. (seeing a trend here?) I was pretty tired after having a couple beers here. Jut had a long night the night before so we decided to call it a night and ride back home. The ride must of woken us up and got our blood moving because we ended up sharing stories over a couple more beers and a shot or two until the wee hours.

Saturday started early and included another ride into town for some breakfast and then some mid morning rest time. We finally got our stuff together and headed out to hit Bent Creek again, this time I took my full suspension Ventana since I was still seat-less on the SS. Jut wanted to get the keg arrangement taken care of pre-ride so we did the grand tour of Ingles supermarkets in search of quality 5 gallon kegs. Hours later we finally were at the trail head and were hitting the gravel roads in Bent Creek. Both of us were still feeling the ride the previous day and also the long night so we took it easy. Jut showed me more of the great trails in Bent Creek and we did a lot of short ups and downs through the forest. We called it a day after 10 miles and headed back to the Crows Nest to get ready for Jut's bday party.

After a short nap in the hammock, I helped get dinner going while Jut and Ty cleaned up and got the house ready. I met a lot of great Ashevillians at the party. There was a great casual atmosphere and the Golden Rod Pilsner from French Broad Brewery was delicious. The crowd left around 1:30am and we toasted Jut with a few beverages and then called it a night.


Sunday was starting out quite slow. I slept until 10ish and then milled around until Jut got up. I decided to head back to Nashville and get back before it got too late. What a great weekend of riding and getting to know friends better!! I'm sad I'm gonna miss the Enduro de Ocho but I know the boys will all have a blast. Jut has some awesome things plans for you all!!

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?